Sunday, January 29, 2012

Organic Food and Bipolar Disorder

When it comes to Bipolar Disorder and eating organic food, I would have to say “no” for Bipolar I Disorder and “maybe” for Bipolar II Disorder and Cyclothymia, which are more mild forms of Bipolar Disorder.  

Many individuals do not realize that there are different types of Bipolar Disorder.  Organic foods can be very helpful in treating more mild forms of Bipolar Disorder, but when it comes to Bipolar I Disorder, the best form of treatment is medication and talk therapy. Without medication and talk therapy, statistics prove that up to 20% of people with Bipolar I Disorder commit suicide. 

What is Bipolar Disorder and the different types of Bipolar?  Bipolar Disorder is also known as Manic Depression.  It is a physical brain disorder that comes out in emotional ways.  Bipolar Disorder involves severe “highs” (mania) and severe “lows” (depression) with some “normal” moods between the two.  Anything that causes an emotional response can lead to a Bipolar Disorder mood swing. 

Bipolar Disorder is not a character flaw or a reflection on one’s integrity.  It is a disease just like heart disease or diabetes.

Bipolar Disorder affects individuals differently. There are different types of Bipolar Disorder such as Bipolar I, Bipolar II, and Cyclothymia.

Bipolar I Disorder is the most severe form of Bipolar Disorder with overly “highs”, known as mania, and severe “lows”, known as depression. Bipolar I Disorder also includes episodes of psychosis (the inability to distinguish reality from fantasy or belief).  Medications are needed for relief of psychosis. 

I was diagnosed with Bipolar I Disorder when I was 29 years old and medications have literally saved my life. Exercise and good nutrition are apart of my life, but alone, it is not a treatment for my Bipolar I Disorder.  It was apart of my life before I was diagnosed and my life was in total chaos then.

Bipolar II Disorder is usually misdiagnosed due to its subtleties.  This is a more mild form of Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar II Disorder involves episodes of “hypomania”, instead of full-blown mania, and has even longer periods of severe depression.  Also, psychosis is usually not present with Bipolar II Disorder.

I do have friends that use diet and exercise to maintain their stability with Bipolar II Disorder, but most individuals need medication to deal with the severity of the depression that can be life threatening.

Cyclothymia is the mildest form of Bipolar Disorder.  Many people with this disorder never seek treatment.  These individuals are able to function well in life and experience mild to moderate episodes of depression alternating with mild episodes of hypomania.

Individuals with Cyclothymia can become very ill, however, to the point of impairment in response to certain substances or medications such as marijuana, alcohol, anti-depressants, steroids, and in some cases, high doses of decongestants.  These substances and medications may trigger episodes of depression or even a full-blown mania.

Bipolar Disorder can be a life-threatening illness no matter what type it manifests itself. Like any other life threatening disease, Bipolar Disorder has the potential to take lives. 

If someone is suicidal or severely depressed, please seek help right away from a professional and please encourage that loved one to go on medication.  Medication saves lives no matter what you believe about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment